Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Granola Bars

So, I figured I would start my day by making some treats. I like doing this in the morning before it gets hot or I get lazy.

However, since I'm not always super alert, it can cause issues. Today, I didn't have any major disasters. But I did mess up the recipe.

I decided to make vegan granola bars from yummymummykitchen.com. At the end of this recipe, it says you can add more syrup if they seem too dry. Well, mine did. So I added more syrup and more peanut butter. It was only after placing them in the pan and coming back to my computer that I realized I forgot the coconut oil. And I mixed the chocolate chips *in* the mixture instead of drizzling melted chocolate chips on top. Oops! I will have to go back and make *the actual* recipe one day. Here's what I did instead:

Ingredients

  • 2 cups of old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup of Rice Krispies
  • 1/2 cup of tahini
  • 1 tbs peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon maple syrup (although I do find them a bit too sweet)
  • 2 tsp of chia seeds (I would use more next time but I ran out)
  • 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips

Steps

  1. Line an 8x8 pan with tinfoil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Combine all of the ingredients.
  3. Press mixture into prepared dish.
  4. Chill until hardened.
  5. Cut into squares (I did 12 squares) and store in refrigerator.

Update: 

I made the original recipe and find that it holds together much better with the coconut oil. I used tahini instead of peanut butter. I like the taste of the tahini, but I do think PB would bind the ingredients better.

No comments:

Post a Comment