Monday, May 27, 2013

Slow down so you see the pony

Today's theme seems to be "slow down".
  1. This morning I noticed a wild bunny in our backyard. I watched it for a bit until I seemed to be freaking it out. And then I stopped watching it because that seemed like the nice thing to do.
  2. Later I saw a massive cat. Like so huge that it may have been a small pony. And it really could have been a pony, as I only saw the cat out of the corner of my eye. I was rushing around to get ready for work and when I went back for my double-take, it was gone. So, it probably was a pony.
  3. Then, on my way to work, there was a random massive dog in the road. I did slow down, so I know that this *was* a dog, and not another pony.
But, despite the above, I didn't slow down forever. In fact, I was so engrossed in my thoughts, music, and my fantastic smoothie (please note sarcasm) that I didn't notice my speed. But a nice police officer sure did.

When I saw his lights behind me, I figured I was in his way. I was genuinely surprised when he followed me to the side of the road. And I still didn't clue in that I had been speeding. He asked the mandatory question of "do you know why I pulled you over?"

Me: "uh, actually I have no clue."

And then he told me I had been speeding, somewhat significantly. And that it seemed to take me a while to see his lights (which I disagree with because I distinctly remember checking my rear view like *right* before). But I wasn't about to argue with him and I definitely wasn't going to tell him that maybe my reaction was delayed due to the smoothie drinking or radio fiddling. Uh, no, I do not need a distracted driving infraction, officer.

Anyway, he reduced my ticket for me and thanked me for my honesty. And then he asked me to slow down. He wouldn't want me to get into an accident or anything.

And like a good citizen, I obeyed his instructions. Well, at least I think I did. It's not like I noticed the first time around that I was speeding, so....

No comments:

Post a Comment