Sunday, May 26, 2013

Weekly Wrap Up / Six Months In

Overall, I have to say that I've had a pretty good week. I haven't felt the greatest physically, but I'm working on that. I had noticed that I was tired quite frequently, which is something that I haven't really experienced since becoming vegetarian.

Because of that, I linked the fatigue to unintentional consumption of dairy. But since it persisted, I figured that can't be it. So, I started tracking my food on www.myfitnesspal.com and realized that I'm not getting enough protein. Now, I hesitate to share this because I don't want to add to the misconception that vegetarians don't get enough protein. If I were at my goal weight, I would be pretty much on target. However, I'm not at my goal weight so I'm significantly short on the recommended daily amount of protein. It's a bit of a wake-up call and I'm making some adjustments.

On the good side of things, I survived a pot luck social function. My contributions were a bean salad and peanut butter cups. I skipped many of the other contributions but did eat some raw veggies, crackers, and hummus (in addition to my own of course). The result was that while others complained of being full, I was able to stop before hitting that point. Sure, the pizza smelt delicious but I was able to avoid it.

 (Some) Stuff I Ate

Bean & Veggie Salad
with balsamic vinaigrette
and a touch of maple syrup
My first ever green smoothie
Peanut Butter Cups (recipe to follow)
Granola Bars (recipe to follow)

We also had BBQ food and stuffed peppers. And probably some other stuff too.

Stuff I Want to Eat

  • Mock tuna
  • Vegan lasagna
  • Eggplant Souvlaki
  • BBQ food
  • More bean salad

In the Rest of My Life

  • You know those artichoke hearts I wanted to buy forever ago? They are now 23 past their expiry date and still on the shelf. So, I bought them from a much better store. And they haven't even expired yet.
  • I bought spinach. The very idea gives me the shivers.
  • Ugh, I've slacked on the reading front so I'm *still* reading A Fraction of the Whole, Eating Animals, and The Dovekeepers.
  • On my radar: Vegan Cheeze Sauce; Cashew Cheeze filling for my vegan lasagna
  • Coming up this week:  a review of Earthlings, the granola bar recipe, and the peanut butter cups recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment