Thursday, July 25, 2013

Eight months in

So, I've been a vegetarian for eight months. And right now, it's a bit harder than it has been before. I'm finding that I am having more cravings. I've figured out that the cravings are likely stemming from not eating with nutrition in mind. Between work stress, unemployment stress, and being busy, being healthy slid off my priority list.

And you know what happens then? You feel like crap and make poor choices because you feel like crap. Then the cycle continues (no worries, by poor choices I mean dairy). Being healthy takes work.

Weeks ago I got on a green smoothie kick. But we ran out of greens. So I stuck with fruit. And then we ran out of fruit...so my smoothie became (essentially) a protein iced coffee. Is it good? Yes. Healthy? Not so much.

It was a slow and steady downward spiral. I don't want to be in that spiral. I started getting back on track by preparing a bean salad and mock tuna. This gave me more filling snacks and lunches...and my supper was usually healthy.

I do need to return to being dairy-free though. Dairy definitely triggers my migraines. And these migraines bring on whole new migraine symptoms that I had never before experienced. But the thing with dairy is that it's addictive so I can't typically handle a little bit and stay on track.

Right now the idea of eating cheese grosses me out, so that is a step in the right direction. One foot in front of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment