But for today, the focus is on Squash & Veggie Soup. I found the original recipes on one of my favourite sites, ohsheglows.com. There it is titled Luxurious 7-Vegetable and "Cheese" Soup. It's kind of a mouthful and definitely scary if you aren't a vegetable fan. I mean, seven vegetables? Let's not get excessive and point that out. For you non veggie fans, you will notice fewer veggies in my version...mainly because I realized I didn't have sweet potato once I had started. Oh well.
Anyway, I made a few changes and thought I would share the changes with you. First things first, I divided the recipe in half and then I went from there.
- oil (for sautéing)
- 2 cups of onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of celery
- 1/2 cup of carrots
- 3 1/2 cups of broccoli florets
- 2 cups of butternut squash
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 tbs of soy parmesan
- dash of chili pepper, crushed chili pepper flakes, cinnamon
- Chop and sauté the onion and garlic in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add celery, carrots, broccoli, and squash as you chop them. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add veggie broth and squash. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the squash softens slightly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool significantly.
- Add the soy parmesan and other spices. Stir gently.
- Using a blender, blend the mixture in small batches.
- Return all smoothly blended batches into the pot to stir together (and reheat).
- Serve and enjoy.