Sunday, November 10, 2013

Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin (Veganized)

It seems that lately I can only find spaghetti squash in massive quantities. Since my husband doesn't eat it, I've had to explore ways to use it up that isn't just spaghetti. In my hunt for recipes, I came across a recipe by Martha Stewart for Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin. Naturally, I had to make a few changes to make this vegan.

I also adjusted quantities to yield fewer servings.

Overall, I enjoyed the recipe and I would make it again if I needed to use up some squash.

 


Ingredients

  • 1/2 tbsp. Earth Balance (or other dairy free butter alternative)
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup veggie broth
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
  • 2.5 cups of spaghetti squash (I partially cooked mine in the microwave first)
  • 1/2 cup vegan breadcrumbs (I used a mix of breadcrumbs and flavoured croutons)
  • 1 tbsp. soy parmesan
  • dash of spices of your choosing

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a small frying pan, sauté your mushrooms, onion, and chickpeas in butter. Set aside.
  3. In a medium pot, bring broth, almond milk, and garlic to a boil and let boil at medium-high for a minute.
  4. Slowly whisk in the flour and reduce heat to a simmer to allow the mixture to thicken slightly.
  5. Add your mushrooms, chickpeas, onion, and squash. Stir ingredients so squash is well covered with sauce.
  6. Transfer to a bread pan.
  7. In a small bowl, mix your breadcrumbs, soy parm, and spices. Sprinkle on top of the squash mixture.
  8. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment